-
Re: Pound baseball
I got ya. but i cant forsee pound being a good place to coach in the near future. they need to get some people in there with some support from the principal. IMO they really need someone who is willing to build a program they way they see fit and put the parents in their place. I know high school sports is bad for parents getting involved, but at pound its HORRIBLE.
-
Re: Pound baseball
You couldn't pay JW enough to come back to Pound. Way too much drama over there, and his program at Castlewood is solid (good baseball tradition/community-has total support and control to do what he needs to). Pound is like Clintwood: It's where baseball coaches go to be buried [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
-
Re: Pound baseball
From what I hear Pound has a good solid youth program,, has been run by the same guy for 20+ years,,, but there hasn't been any support from administration for several years... always in attendance at football and basketball,,, but non-existent for baseball. Pound needs to hire a Bassball Principle,,,ha,,, and i'm sure the new principle didn't play baseball.
-
Re: Pound baseball
J.W. wanted to come to Pound before he went to castlewood. I don't know about the parents running Brian off, I think Brian did that himself. Before Brian came to Pound, Pound had quite a few boys coming out to play. Then when Brian came the numbers in baseball just starting dropping. There is two sides to every story. The one's who supported Brian will always say the parents ran him off. Seems like that is the case every time at Pound any way from what I hear on here. But in all honesty Brian could have had more players but he wouldn't work with them as far as them playing two sports.
I thought Pound had a pretty decent program as far as baseball was concerned when Brian came. I just think Brian's way of coaching and the way he had planned things just didn't go the way he expected and therefore he was hit with not many wanting to come out and play for him. J.W. is happy where he is at now, he has started a great program why would he want to leave it now? That is what Pound needs, is someone who wants to help the program grow. Someone who really cares about the sport and all the kids playing. I think coaching should be someone who wants to encourage kids to come out and play. You can't act like Brian did and expect kids to want to play for him.
-
Re: Pound baseball
JW didn't "start" a great program at Castlewood. That program has been solid for decades. How about all of the other coaches before Brian? What happened to all of them? From what the folks from Pound tell me, they will never field quality athletic programs until somebody puts the reins on the parents. It happens at Wise too-feel you all's pain.
-
Re: Pound baseball
I don't know how good or bad Castlewood was before J.W. went there to be coach. I am just going by what J.W. told me this past season. As far as Pound goes I can't say how many coaches have supposedly been run off. I don't know. But I do know that Brian hurt himself in some things that he done. I don't know either about if parents were trying to run him off, maybe they were I wasn't up there to see or hear any of that going on. My knowledge of Brian is there were several players that could have played baseball and he had an attitude that he didn't need them, he had the players he needed to win with. What kind of attitude is that? Pound already had a solid group of boys that had played since they were old enough to play when Brian stepped in. I am not trying to bash Brian in any way, it is just there is alot of talk on here that the parents ran Brian off when there is more truth to it then what is being told on here. I don't know the past of castlewood, but I do think that with J.W. they will have a good future to look forward too. Any team can have great talent playing for them, but along with that talent there needs to be some kind of coach that can do something with it.
Now I don't think it is the parent's place to tell the coaches in any way what to do. I agree with an earlier post that said the parents need to stay home. But in any sport at any school there will always be some parents who want to try and help "coach" cause their son?daughter is playing. I don't agree with that either. Cause admit it or not, what parent isn't going to favor their child at times? There needs to be a coach to stand up and change these situations with the schools principal's support. Cause without the changes then the same old stuff will happen no matter who comes in to coach.
-
Re: Pound baseball
Castlewood's baseball program would have won state a few times in the 80's and 90's were it not for JJK. We always felt pretty good about our chances once we got past them. Maybe the best high school baseball game I have seen was the 1998 Regions at Norton when we beat them 1-0 (went on to cruise to stste title)on Spenilla's HR (if I remember right). That pitcher was tough (forgetting his name at moment). Funny thing was that Spenilla's dad built that program at Castlewood if I am not mistaken.
Only thing I can honestly say about Sturgill is that I thought it was a crock that he'd get mad and not speak to the Coalfield when he lost. I've seen Wyrick mad and disgusted after a JJK loss, but still understanding that that's part of the deal when you coach.
-
Re: Pound baseball
That is probably the best high school game I have ever watched Indian Dad. Thad Patrick was Castlewood's pitcher that night.
Castlewood was very good throughout the 80s and 90s, but come around 00 they stunk till JW got there. CW, and SP have always had a really good feeder system though, and that helps out a lot.
-
Re: Pound baseball
[ QUOTE ]
J.W. is happy where he is at now, he has started a great program why would he want to leave it now? That is what Pound needs, is someone who wants to help the program grow. Someone who really cares about the sport and all the kids playing.
[/ QUOTE ]
i don't know the situation in pound and their baseball program, but Salyers' wife told me that he turned down the Tazewell job over the summer. he must be pretty happy at castlewood. i just kinda assumed that he would want to coach at the school he attended.
-
Re: Pound baseball
J.W. wanted to come to Pound but the job came open at Castlewood and therefore he went and has had success once taking over as the new Coach. Brian and J.W. are two different coaches with their own style and way of running the programs. I think J.W. is one who really takes the time to coach and bring maturity to a team. With Brian it wasn't like that, some of the boys that played for him told me it was hard for Brian to coach them, he didn't show a favorable attitude. My own son said that Brian didn't try and develop a relationship with the boys. I think however if J.W. had got to come to Pound and coach then Pound would have seen a different outcome then what we have seen the past 2 yrs. with Brian. Who knows maybe Brian can succeed somewhere else, I hope so. I wish him the best. So I don't look for J.W. to leave castlewood now cause he is happy where he is at. He really loves what he does and he talked alot to me about the support he has had since going to castlewood. I really think that as long as J.W. stays then their baseball program will grow and improve every year.